- Security & Privacy
- The Service allows landlords to set up online rental applications for their properties, potential tenants to submit rental applications, and tenants to make online rent payments and, at the request of landlords, order and share credit reports and background check reports with landlords. In the future, you’ll be able to do even more on Cozy.
- Paying your rent with Cozy from your checking account (via the ACH network) is free for tenants. Payments by credit/debit card involve a processing fee of 2.75%, which will be added to the amount of your payment. A copy of your credit report and/or your background check report can be ordered and shared with a single prospective landlord for a one-time fee, as described on our Features & Pricing page. Cozy is currently free for landlords: there is no charge to receive rent payments or copies of credit or background check reports using the Service. If we ever change our fees or introduce new features that have additional fees, we’ll let you know first via email or the site. If you don’t want to pay the new fees, you can cancel service anytime. We don’t offer refunds for fees you’ve already paid.
- Cozy uses Stripe to execute online payment transactions. By using this feature of the Service, you agree to be bound by the Stripe Connected Account Agreement, available at https://stripe.com/connect/account-terms. This may be updated from time to time. For avoidance of doubt, if any payment you initiate using the Service does not successfully complete, the payee reserves the right to seek payment from you via or outside the Service. Any authorization you provide to make repeating automatic payments using the Service will remain in effect until cancelled.
- By providing us with your banking, credit/debt card, or other payment information, you authorize us to use it and disclose it to Stripe or other payment gateway providers for the purpose of processing the payments you authorize on the Service. Payment gateway providers may also aggregate your information for other purposes, but only in ways that don’t identify you personally or disclose any personal information about you, and may disclose your personal information when necessary to comply with the law.
- We never take custody of money you transfer using the Service and we’re not responsible for what recipients do with the payments you make. For example, we’re not responsible for your landlord returning your deposit. If a payor or payor’s bank or card issuer initiates a reversal, chargeback, or dispute of a payment made to you, you authorize us and our third-party payment providers to reverse or otherwise debit funds from your account in accordance with applicable financial institution and network policies and procedures. In the event we are unable to reverse or otherwise debit funds from your account, you agree promptly to deposit such funds upon our request. We may also initiate a reversal or other debit, or take other actions we determine to be appropriate, if we believe fraud or other abuse of the Service has occurred.
- We allow landlords to request a credit report and/or a background check report from prospective tenants using the Service. When a landlord makes such a request, we will give the prospective tenant the option to order a single-use copy of his or her credit report and/or background check report and to share it with the requesting landlord. To provide this portion of the Service, we may ask for your Social Security Number and other personally identifying information (such as information about other creditors you have had), which we will share with our third-party credit reporting agency for the purposes of preparing and sharing reports and verifying your identity, and which we will not store (except than on a temporary basis) or use for any other purpose.
- If you are a landlord requesting a credit report or a background check report from a prospective tenant, you certify that you are making such request, and will use such report, for the purpose of your own evaluation of the prospective tenant in connection with that tenant’s rental application and for no other purpose. If you are a tenant ordering a credit report or background check report, you certify that you are ordering such report, and will use such report, for the purpose of furnishing the report to a prospective landlord in connection with your rental application and for no other purpose. You agree not to share any credit report or background check report obtained through Cozy with anyone other than as allowed using the sharing mechanism on the Cozy site.
- Credit-report and background check-report functionality is provided by our third-party credit reporting agencies and may not be available for all users or at all times for various reasons, including reasons beyond our control or about which we may not have specific information. If you are unable to order, share, request, or view a credit report or background check report using the Service, you should contact the person requesting or being asked to provide the report via the contact information he or she has listed on Cozy to discuss the matter directly. You may also contact Cozy at email@example.com for assistance.
- We are not a credit bureau and do not control the contents of credit reports, including reports obtained through the Service. We are NOT responsible for the contents of any credit report or background check report or any credit score, whether correct or incorrect. Credit reports and background check reports can contain information that is incorrect, incomplete, or not up to date, and reports are not a substitute for carefully reviewing and independently verifying all information contained in a rental application and interviewing a prospective tenant. If you believe that any information contained in your credit report or background check report is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute it. To dispute the contents of your credit report, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or the telephone number displayed when your report is made available for viewing on Cozy. To dispute the contents of your background check report, please contact Checkr via email or telephone as described on your background check report.
- If you are a landlord requesting or accepting credit reports or background check reports, you specifically agree to familiarize yourself and comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and any applicable state laws governing the use of consumer reports. To the extent you rely in any way on the contents of a report in taking an adverse action against an applicant (such as denying an application or requiring a co-signer or higher deposit), you are required to furnish the applicant with an adverse action notice as described in this document, even if the contents of the report played only a small role in your decision. Note that for purposes of credit reports, Cozy is the applicable consumer reporting agency (CRA); for purposes of background check reports, Checkr is the applicable CRA.
- We use third-party identity verification services to help ensure that users are who they say they are prior to enabling certain features of the Services, such as electronic payments and the ordering and requesting of credit reports. Once your identity has been verified, we may also display a badge or other indicator to let other users know that you’ve successfully completed the verification process. However, we neither control nor guarantee the accuracy of any identity verification service (and none can prevent all scams), so you should always take the same precautions in dealing with others through our site that you would in person.
- We are not a real estate agent or broker. We don’t screen properties or listings or offer any guaranty or advice regarding the suitability of properties, landlords, or potential tenants. Nothing we say should be construed as such advice, and you agree not to rely on us in making decisions on, well, anything at all.
- Cozy’s tenant selection and confirmation features are designed to make communication between landlords and prospective tenants easier; neither they nor any other aspect of the Services are intended to create any kind of contract or other legal obligation between a landlord and a prospective tenant (or between anyone else, for that matter). Just like in the offline world, you should wait until a written rental or lease agreement is signed by both the landlord and tenant before relying on any tenancy you arrange using Cozy.
- You must be 18 years old to use Cozy. Banks require that.
- For right now, you must be a U.S. resident.
- You must be a human. Accounts registered by “bots” or automated methods of access are not permitted. No screen-scraping, reproducing, or aggregating the information or other content on our site.
- Use of the Service does not give you ownership of any intellectual property rights in the Service or any content posted on the Service. You own what you post on the Service (unless you copied it from someone else) but you grant us a license to copy, host, display, create derivative works from, publish, publicly perform, display, and distribute, and otherwise make use of in connection with providing the Service, all information and content you post so long as you have an active account. If you are a landlord and authorize us (by checking the appropriate box or boxes on our site) to syndicate your rental listing on third-party sites, you further agree that we may grant sublicenses to applicable third parties as necessary to facilitate such syndication.
- You must provide your full legal name, a valid email address, and any other information requested in order to complete the signup process. You are also responsible for keeping your email address up to date, so we can send you important notices.
- Your account may only be used by one person. A single account shared by more than one person is not permitted.
- You are responsible for keeping your password and account secure.
- You are responsible for the accuracy of everything that is posted or submitted under your account.
- We are not responsible for the accuracy of anything another user posts or submits to our site.
- We are not responsible for the conduct of users on or off the site. Use common sense when doing business with other users.
- You may not use the Service for any illegal purpose. You may not, in using the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction or ours, or infringe the rights of anyone (ours or third parties). We’d like to think this goes without saying, but you may not use the Service as part of any fraudulent scheme or transaction. If we have reason to suspect your account has been used for an unauthorized or illegal purpose, you agree that we may share information about you, your account, and any of your transactions with law enforcement.
- If you are a landlord, you agree in particular that you are familiar with all applicable fair-housing and antidiscrimination laws and that you will adhere to them. You also agree that the contents of any listings you post on or link to from Cozy will be accurate and not misleading.
- You may not abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate, or intimidate other Cozy customers. Don’t be creepy.
- You also may not post anything on Cozy that contains or links to sweepstakes (yes, that’s a thing, apparently), viruses, or malware.
- We reserve the right to modify or terminate the Service for any reason, without notice, at any time.
- If we change our pricing, we will give you at least 30 days’ notice, via the site or email.
- If you wish to cancel your account, you must do so via the Service web site or by sending us a letter in the mail. An email or phone request to cancel your account will not be processed.
- If you cancel your account, any or all of your information may be immediately (or at some point in the future) irrevocably deleted. You should save a copy of anything important before cancelling your account.
- Conversely, information you post or otherwise furnish to us, including personal information, may remain on our servers indefinitely (for example, as backups) after you delete it from public areas of the Services or request cancellation of your account.
- If you are a landlord, by requesting or viewing a credit report using the Service, you additionally represent and warrant the following: (1) that you have never been involved, and will not become involved, in any credit fraud or other unethical business practice and that you will immediately discontinue all use of the Service (and any reports and other information obtained via the Service) and notify us if you are ever involved in any such fraud or practice; (2) that your request for any credit report using the Service, and your use of any credit report obtained through the Service, is lawful and solely for the purpose of evaluating a prospective tenant’s rental application; and (3) that you will not provide a copy of any report obtained through Cozy, or any information contained in such a report, to any other party. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless us and our affiliates, agents, officers, employees, and vendors (including without limitation our third-party credit reporting agencies and their respective affiliates, agents, officers, and employees) from any Claim arising out of or relating to your breach of the foregoing representations and warranties.
Our lawyer made us use all caps for the following two big blocks of text (which you should still read). We promise, we’re not yelling at you.
THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED “AS-IS” WITHOUT PROMISES OF ANY KIND. NEITHER WE NOR OUR SUPPLIERS WARRANT OR GUARANTEE UPTIME OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICE, THAT THE SERVICE WILL MEET OR CONTINUE IN THE FUTURE TO MEET YOUR NEEDS, OR THAT WE WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE SERVICE OR ANY ASPECT OF THE SERVICE IN THE FUTURE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES FOR THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SEAWORTHINESS, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- Please refer to Cozy's DMCA page for instructions on how to provide notice of allegedly infringing material on cozy.co.
- If you need to send us any legal notice (including notice that you believe another user is infringing your intellectual property or other rights), please do so via snail mail to the following address:
Cozy Services Ltd.
3514 N. Vancouver Ave.
4th Floor, Portland, OR 97227
Thanks for making it through all this. We try hard to be reasonable and clear. If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com.
Last revised April 8, 2016.