Here at Cozy, we’re all about helping landlords streamline how they manage their rentals. That’s why we’re launching a series of posts with tips and tricks to help you make the most of Cozy.
1. Track expenses from Home Depot’s parking lot
It can be hard to stay on top of things like tracking your rental property expenses, especially if tax season feels far away. Start doing it now—as you spend—and your future self will thank you.
- Log in to Cozy on your mobile device.
- Click on “Expenses” in the left bar on desktop (the right bar on your mobile device).
- Click the green “Add expense” button.
- Add details about the expense: the vendor, property, amount.
- Upload a photo of your receipt.
- Select a category for the expense. These line up with the categories on the IRS 1040 Schedule E form.
- Throw your receipt in the trash because it’s saved in Cozy, and give yourself a high five.
Log in to Cozy anytime to view your expenses. You can export your expenses and the images of the receipts at any time. Bonus: expense tracking is free.
2. Export payment data into a spreadsheet
A lot of landlords ask us if they can keep track of payments made through Cozy. The answer is “yes”! It’s easy to export spreadsheets by unit or collectively. Then you can upload those .csv files to QuickBooks or Excel—wherever you track your expenses and revenue.
- Once you’re in Cozy, Click on “Export Data” in the left sidebar on desktop or the right on mobile.
- Specify dates: either a calendar year or a date range you set. Choose data by unit or all of your properties.
- Select either a single .csv file or individual .csv files for each property.
- Click the “Download payment data” button, and you’re done! Your document will be downloaded on your computer or mobile device.
3. Share move-in and move-out checklists with your tenants
Make sure you and your tenant are on the same page during move-in and move-out. Upload your checklists to the maintenance request section in Cozy, so you can both refer to the lists and communicate about them right there.
How to do it:
- After you’ve invited your tenant to pay rent through Cozy, click on “Maintenance” in the left bar on desktop (the right bar on your mobile device).
- Add a title and message for your tenant. Let them know they can reply to anything list-related right there in Cozy, and upload photos of any problems or issues at move-in. (You can do the same for move-out if there are issues you want your tenant to see.)
- Upload your checklist.
- Click “Create request.”
Are there other Cozy hacks you want to share with landlords? Let us know. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.