Here at Cozy, we’re adding thousands of new customers every month. This means our support team is talking to more new folks every day. We’re a startup with a small support team, but we want to ensure that we’re always providing the best support to our customers, on the rare occasions they need it. In thinking through how to make sure we’re scaling our support effectively, we came up with two big topics: coverage and consistency.
Up until recently, we offered support Monday through Friday, with minimal coverage on weekends. But with a growing customer base, we saw the need for staffing 7 days a week. So, we’re now available via email on Saturdays and Sundays too!
Our goal is to make sure we’re all communicating clearly and empathetically. And, in order to provide a consistently wonderful support experience for our customers, we’ve developed a Cozy Style Guide. As Cozy experts, we want to be able to share our knowledge so that our customers both learn something new and feel glad they reached out to us.
The guide includes tips on grammar and punctuation, but the real heart of it is the Voice and Tone piece. This section addresses concrete ways that we can ensure we’re communicating clearly and personably while really connecting with our customers. Here are some of the highlights that we came up with:
- First and foremost, sound human! That is, be friendly, conversational, and approachable.
- Use the customer’s name when possible.
- Be clear: Use easy to understand language and avoid jargon.
- Be concise: Use short sentences and leave out unnecessary words or details.
- Be specific: Reference the particulars of a customer’s situation/account.
- Try to match the customer’s tone. If they’re upbeat and excited, feel free to reflect that. If they’re frustrated or annoyed, express empathy.
- Say you’re sorry for mistakes, bugs, or other problems.
- Speak for yourself: use “I” instead of “we” when appropriate.
So, what can you expect when you reach out to our support team? First, you can expect to hear back from us any any day of the week. We’re available 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time, every day. You can also expect that no matter who you’re emailing with, we’re doing our best to get you the information you need in an easily digestible way so that you can get back to work as quickly as possible. And, our Help Center is available 24/7 to answer your questions, too!